Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ioapic: version 0x20 vectors 0:23 solution

I've noticed that many of you have problem with booting OS X on theirs PCs. The problem is known as "ioapic: version 0x20 vectors 0:23". OS X starts booting and then it just freezes. I've searched thru many forums all I found is an adivce to change HDD mode to ATA. Didn't work... (Dell Vostro 1500 with C2D processor). Here's what helped me:

1. Insert your osx disc (tested iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5)
2. Press F8 or just wait when you are asked to press any button.
3. Now type in the prompt:

cpus=2 -v -x

4. This will force the bootloader to use both cores of your processor (I assume that you have dual core processor), start booting in verbose mode (-v) and safe mode (-x)

Your OS X installation should start now. Hope this will help, helped for me.

6 comments:

medwezys said...

Hi there,
I have the same problem except i cant solve it your way. My iDeneb installation just freezes while showing apple and this clock thing. Trying to boot with your given flags i get "panic(cpu 1 caller 0x001a8c8a) kernel trap at 0x543409c9, type 14=page fault, registers: {list}... error code: 0x00000000"
Any suggestions?

Aerandir's Blog said...

Well, are you using VMWare or something? Do you have dual-core Intel proccessor?

medwezys said...

Hi, thanks for a response, know i am already running 10.5.5 on dell vostro 1500. works allright :)

Aerandir's Blog said...

Write Your config if got some time ;)

medwezys said...

just added everything here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88345&st=260&gopid=1017653&#

Jorge Silva said...

I get a similar messege.(ioapic: version 0x21 vectors 0:23 instead of 20) I tried using your suggestion but it still dosent work. Any suggestions?? Ive been trying for a few weeks to get this working and cant get past this problem.